To develop discerning, life-long readers and creative communicators through the analysis and evaluation of historical and contemporary literature in a variety of genres.
- To develop vocabulary acquisition through context and domain-specific instruction
- To develop cultural and historical literacy that will illuminate the study of literature and informational texts
- To model a variety of reading strategies and literary skills to help students to comprehend, compare, analyze, interpret, evaluate, and create literary texts
- To offer a broad range of reading opportunities using novel studies and engaging selections from classic and contemporary literature
- To guide students to interpret and evaluate images and relate them to literary texts through visual analysis
- To engage real-world questions from a biblical worldview, leading students to exercise discernment and to formulate biblical responses to the issues raised by their reading
- To provide opportunities for individual and collaborative communication, drawing on textual models and technology skills