To develop discerning, lifelong readers and creative communicators through the analysis and evaluation of historical and contemporary literature in a variety of genres.
- Develop vocabulary acquisition through context and domain-specific instruction
- Help students interact with literary texts by modeling reading strategies and literary skills
- Offer a broad range of reading opportunities using novel studies and engaging selections from classic and contemporary literature
- Guide students in using visual analysis to interpret and evaluate images and relate them to literary texts
- Develop cultural and historical literacy that will illuminate the study of literature and informational texts
- Lead students to exercise discernment and formulate biblical responses to issues raised in reading by asking real-world questions from a biblical worldview
- Provide opportunities for individual and collaborative communication by drawing on textual models and technology skills