Unit 5: Europe and Russia | Cultural Geography, 4th ed.
One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six | Seven | Eight | Nine | About Links
Chapter 11: Western Europe
- Visit Britain—Official tourism site. Excellent destination guide including all areas of Britain (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Channel Islands). Also links to each country’s tourism site.
- Embassy of Britain to the U.S.— Contains much cultural and current information on Britain.
- England—Website for tourism in England
- Spirited Ireland—A very large and quite diverse personal collection of pictures from the author’s sojourns in Ireland.
- Tourism Ireland—Official tourism site. Some good country information and a nice destination guide (actually covers Northern Ireland too).
- Visit Scotland—Official site of Scotland’s National Tourist Board.
- Visit Wales—Official site for visitors to Wales.
- Go Scandinavia -- Official Website of the Scandinavian Tourist Boards - Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden.
Denmark (and Greenland)
- Denmark Official Website—Contains much information on Denmark. Also links to the official tourist site (Visit Denmark) among others.
- Embassy of Denmark in Washington D.C.—Brief but thorough overview of the basic country information categories.
- Greenland Guide—Official travel site. Contains lots of information and pictures.
- Denmark— VisitDenmark.com, the official travel guide to Denmark
- Sweden:SE—Official and comprehensive site on Sweden. Contains link to official tourist page also.
- Sweden—Sweden's official website for tourism and travel information
- Virtual Finland—Much information on the society, geography and history of Finland. Great section of pictures.
- Embassy of Finland, Washington D.C.—Lots of great info on Finland. Links to official tourism site too.
- Visit Norway—Official tourism site. A good destination guide. Excellent pictures.
- Iceland: the Official Gateway to Iceland—Lots of info on each aspect of Iceland. Links to other good sites.
- Discover France—Exhaustive website on the culture, history and destinations of France.
- France This Way—Excellent France travel guide. Contains various information about France.
- The Royal Netherlands Embassy, Washington D.C.—Much information on the current status of the Netherlands (economy, politics, society) and the cultural heritage. Some good links too.
- Holland.com— Official tourism site. Great information, pictures, and more.
- Embassy of Belgium in the United States—Nice overview of the modern history and current status of Belgium. Links to the official tourist site (good info) under “going to Belgium” section.
- Visit Luxembourg—Official tourism site. Good travel guide and basic country info. Plus some good links.
- Embassy of Luxembourg, Washington D.C.—Much information on Luxembourg.
- German Missions in the United States—An information site prepared by the German Embassy in Washington, DC and the German Information Center in New York
- Germany Tourism—Official site from the German Tourist Board.
- Germany's Schwarzwald (The Black Forest)—provides ideas for visiting the Black Forest in southern Bavaria
- Thuringia—Tourist website for one of the central provinces in Germany and birthplace of the German Reformation; includes list of towns to visit and tourist attractions related to Martin Luther
- Swiss World—A lot of good information and many interesting facts on Switzerland. A very good and well-presented site.
- Information about Switzerland—Lots of info and many good links included.
- My Switzerland — Official site of Switzerland Tourism.
- Liechtenstein—Extensive country info. plus photos and videoclips. Link to official tourist site under “Tourism in brief.”
- CIA The World Factbook: Liechtenstein—information on the country's people, government, economics, and other matters
- Tourism in Liechtenstein—This website belongs to Liechtenstein Tourism. Great website.
- Austria Press and Information Service, Washington D.C.—Much information on Austria.
- Austria.info -- Österreich. You´ve arrived. Austrian National Tourist Office.
- okSpain—Discusses recreation and historic attractions in Spain, with information on autonomous regions and major cities.
- Andorra: The Pyrenean Country—Official tourism site. Brief overview of country info.
- Visit Portugal—Official tourism site. Great destination site.
- Portugal-info—Emphasis on travel. Main strength is the pictures given for each destination mentioned on the interactive map.
- Embassy of Italy in Washington D.C.—website of Italy's embassy in the United States, showing foreign relations between the two countries
- CIA The World Factbook: Italy—addresses Italy's people, government, economy, transportation, and military; also includes photographs of the country's historic sites and terrain
- Monaco—Official tourism site. Brief country info overview and destination guide. Good pictures.
- CIA The World Factbook: San Marino—addresses San Marino's people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Visit San Marino- discussions of the country's holidays, history, political system, recreation, etc.
- Vatican.va—Official Vatican site. Cover every aspect about Vatican City.
- Malta: The Heart of the Mediterranean—Official tourism site. Great destination guide. Some interesting cultural info.
- Ancient Greece—Tons of information on ancient Greece, including the history, famous people, the Olympics, mythology, and more. Quite interesting!
- visitgreece.gr—The Official website of the Greek Tourism Organization
Chapter 12: Eastern Europe
- Poland.pl—Good info about Poland. Best point is the numerous photo galleries for each region and destination site listed.
- StayPoland.com: Poland Information—Lots of information. Good destination guide.
- Lietuva—Official tourism site. Nice overview of country info, good destination guide, and a quite good photo gallery.
- CIA The World Factbook: Lithuania—discusses the country's geography, government, economy, and provides demographics information
- Latvia: The Land that Sings—Official tourism site. Box in upper right switches page to English version. Lots of great info. Nice destination guide.
- CIA The World Factbook: Latvia—Information on Latvia's people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Estonica—Much information about Estonia. Especially good descriptions of the physical geography of the land. Very interesting site.
- Estonian Embassy in Washington—Make sure to look at other links under “Estonia” tab.
- Tourism and Travel in Estonia—Excellent site. Contains video clips, images, information, and more.
- Official Site of the Czech Republic—Leads to much information (“find out more”) and to a travel site (“travel”) with links to other very good tourist sites (under “attractions”).
- Slovakia: Heart of Europe—Brief overview of Slovakia. Good pictures under the “travel guide” part.
- Spectacular Slovakia—Emphasis on travel with good descriptions and pictures, but also has an excellent history section and a section on Roma (the people known as the gypsies).
- Slovakia Travel -- Welcome to Slovak national tourism portal.
- Hungarian Homepage—Covers all the regions and cities to see and gives brief overviews of the history, etc. Many links to other sites.
- Hungarian National Tourist Office New York—Great destination guide and good section on history and culture.
The Western Balkans
- Slovenia—Official tourism site. Excellent destination guide and good photo gallery.
- Slovenia, Central Europe with the spirit of the Mediterranean—A site dedicated to pictures of the natural and manmade features of Slovenia.
- Visit Croatia—Overview of the destinations, history, geography, culture, etc. of Croatia. Many pictures also.
- Embassy of the Republic of Croatia to the United States of America —Contains links to several other great websites.
Serbia and Montenegro
- National Tourist Organisation of Serbia—Excellent and extensive destination guide, covering everything from nature to cities and villages to ancient sites.
- CIA The World Factbook: Montenegro—discusses the country's geography, government, economy, and provides demographics information
- Tourism Association of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina—Site still under construction but has a great destination guide and some good info.
- History Place: Genocide in the Twentieth Century: Bosnia-Herzegovina 1992-1995—Background information regarding the recent political turmoil in the region.
- CIA The World Factbook: Albania—Information on Albania's people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Shqiperia—Great website about Albania. Covers almost everything.
The Eastern Balkans
- Exploring Macedonia—link "go to" gives travelling ideas for cities, villages, lakes, mountains, national parks, heritage sites, and galleries
- CIA The World Factbook: Bulgaria—Information on Bulgaria's people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, and more
- BulgariaTravel—Official tourist site. Lots of great info is included and a great destination guide.
- Romanian Home Page—Covers all areas of the country emphasizing Rumanian culture and the achievements. Link to official tourist site under “tourism”.
The Eastern Plains
- Republic of Moldova: Official Website—Covers history, geography, culture, tourism, and much more.
- UA Zone.net—Brief overview of Ukraine facts. Great photo galleries!
- Chernobyl Accident 1986—web page from the World Nuclear Association
- Travel to Ukraine—Official travel guide of Ukraine. Covers history, maps, places to visit and much more.
- The Virtual Guide to Belarus—Lots of pictures under “nature and geography,” though some are rather grainy.
- BelinTourist —Travel Guide To Belarus. Lots of info and pictures to discover.
Chapter 13: Russia
- The Face of Russia—Site for a PBS series. The timeline and connected articles cover the main historical events and people of Russia as well as some Russian culture.
- Travel Guide to Russia—Briefly describes the major sites of Russia.
- Embassy of the Russian Federation—Much information on Russia.
- Russia Travel — Official guide to Russia travel, visas and hotels. Lots of info, pictures, and more
The fact that a link is listed on this site does not mean that BJU Press endorses its entire contents from the standpoint of ethics, philosophy, theology, or scientific hypotheses. The position of BJU Press on these subjects is well known. In order to provide a useful service to our customers, links to many sites of content relevant to our publications are posted on the basis of the information and/or services that the sites offer.
Due to the transient nature of Internet websites, these links are updated regularly. At the time of publication, all of the web links suggested in our educational materials were active. Since then, some may have been replaced by similar websites or removed from this list. If you have comments, suggestions, questions, or find that one of these resources is no longer in service, please e-mail us.