The Writing & Grammar 8 teacher edition gives educators the resources they need to craft effective lessons. 8th grade grammar lesson plans feature a variety of proven strategies within the framework of a teaching cycle. Instructional aids are available in the back of the book to assist the teacher in developing students’ grammar and writing skills.
What do the 8th grade writing and grammar lesson plans include?
Lessons in the teacher’s edition follow a teaching cycle that offers educators a path for guiding students toward success with 8th grade English language arts. The teaching cycle follows four steps:
- Engage: Educators will find instructions for engaging students with visual analyses of illustrations; discussion suggestions help students appreciate why they learn writing and grammar skills; writing and grammar games help get students involved in learning; guided discovery and induction activities engage students’ thinking skills.
- Instruct: Educators will find a variety of teaching strategies for grammar instruction, speaking and listening skills, media skills, research skills, collaborative skills; suggestions and guidance in using modeling activities to teach writing strategies; instructions for using writing and grammar toolboxes and giving writing assignments.
- Apply: Students will learn grammar rules at the point of application to build their writing and communication skills; they will use individual writing notebooks to see and appreciate their progress and learning; special features give additional opportunities to apply writing and grammar skills outside of major writing assignments.
- Assess: Educators can complete formative assessments through preassessments, ongoing class discussions, completion of grammar worksheets, playing games and modeling activities, as well as through student self and peer assessments; summative assessments are available in writing rubrics for major assignments and in tests.
Features of the 8th Grade English Lessons
The teacher’s edition includes valuable resources for giving students a rich, varied learning experience as they gain appreciation for learning grammar skills and applying them to their writing.
- Suggested discussion questions and activities
- Guides for presenting biblical worldview shaping themes
- Instructions for using mentor texts and modeling activities
- Guides for completing visual analyses of illustrations throughout the program
- Reduced student worktext pages with answers to practice and review questions
- Collaborative learning suggestions
- Suggestions for conducting peer and self assessments
- Differentiated learning suggestions for ELL, struggling students, advanced students, and general enrichment
- Detailed lesson plan overview
- Instructional Aids that include writing rubrics