Chapters 6–10 | Chemistry Web Links
Chapters 1-5 | Chapters 6-10 | Chapters 11-15 | Chapters 16-20 | Lab Manual | About Links
Chapter 6: Chemical Bonds
- Covalent Bonding—An interactive tutorial that explores the forces involved with covalent bonding
- Diamond and Graphite Structures—An interactive website where you and your students can manipulate the molecular structures of graphite and diamond and learn why graphite is soft and diamond is hard
Chapter 7: Bond Theories and Molecular Geometry
- Sigma and Pi Bonds—Animations of different molecules that explain how sigma and pi bonds form
- VSEPR Theory—An animated presentation of VSEPR theory
- Molecular Geometry Simulator—A website that lets you create and manipulate 3D molecules
- Chitosan Bandages—A description of how chitosan bandages work
- Chemistry of Taste and Chemistry of Smell—Information on the chemistry behind our senses of taste and smell
Chapter 8: Chemical Composition and Reactions
- Anatomy of a Firework—The parts and the compounds used for different colors in fireworks
- Ethanol from Waste—An article describing the older technology of gasification used in a new way to recycle certain waste products.
- Beautiful Chemistry—Several amazing high-speed videos of chemical reactions taking place
- Centrifuge—An explanation and a diagram of a centrifuge separating blood plasma from blood cells.
- Sugar Snake—A fascinating video of the decomposition reaction of sugar and sulfuric acid
- Ammonium Dichromate Decomposition—A demonstration of ammonium dichromate decomposing after the addition of heat (Note: If you decide to perform this demonstration, please follow all safety precautions.)
- Single Displacement Reaction—A video that illustrates a single displacement (replacement) reaction using silver nitrate with copper coil
- The Guinea Worm—An article about the demise of the guinea worm, a waterborne parasite that has almost been eradicated because of water treatment
Chapter 9: Chemical Calculations
- Volcanic Sulfur—Several amazing photos of a volcano in Indonesia that is mined for its sulfur
- Phosphoric Acid—An overview of the many uses of phosphoric acid and how it is produced
- Limiting Reactant—A video of a reaction with a limiting reactant
- A Big Noise in a Small Village—An article about the 1869 explosion of nitroglycerine in the Welsh village of Cwm y Glo.
Chapter 10: Gases
- Boyle's Law—An animation showing the relationship between gas volume and pressure
- Charles's Law—An animation showing the relationship between gas volume and temperature
- Gay-Lussac's Law—An animation showing the relationship between gas pressure and temperature
- Airbags—A narrated video that focuses on airbag safety for children but includes principles that can also be applied to adults
The fact that a link is listed on this site does not mean that BJU Press endorses its entire contents from the standpoint of ethics, philosophy, theology, or scientific hypotheses. The position of BJU Press on these subjects is well known. In order to provide a useful service to our customers, links to many sites of content relevant to our publications are posted on the basis of the information and/or services that the sites offer.
Due to the transient nature of Internet websites, these links are updated regularly. At the time of publication, all of the web links suggested in our educational materials were active. Since then, some may have been replaced by similar websites or removed from this list. If you have comments, suggestions, questions, or find that one of these resources is no longer in service, please e-mail us.