Unit 8: Asia | Cultural Geography
One | Two | Three | Four | Five | Six | Seven | Eight | Nine | About Links
Chapter 19: South Asia
- Asianinfo.org—Index of Asian countries with an overview of the people, culture, history, etc. Some news posted also.
- Tour India—Information organized into country region and by city
- Incredible India—Official tourist site. Much information, nice destination guide, and a few pictures.
Pakistan and Bagladesh
- CIA World Factbook webpage on Pakistan—Information includes the country’s geography, people, government, and economy
- Pakistan4ever—"Pakistan Travel and Tourism Guide"
- Virtual Bangladesh—Award-winning comprehensive site on Bangladesh. Quite good!
- Embassy of Bangladesh in Washington D.C.—Information on relations between the country and America
Nepal and Bhutan
- CIA The World Factbook: Bhutan—Information on Bhutan’s people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Bhutan: The Last Shangrai-La (PBS)—Focuses on the natural environment and fauna of Bhutan. Short sections on history and culture. Good photos. Linked to the official tourist site of Bhutan.
- Nepal—contains visiting ideas for trekking, tours, and outdoor activities
Sri Lanka and Maldives
- Website on Sri Lanka’s tourism—discusses ideas on traveling in the country
- CIA The World Factbook: Sri Lanka—Information on the country’s people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, etc.
- Homepage of the Maldives—Contains country facts and statistics, culture, and much more
- Visit Maldives—Great Maldives destination guide. Lots of nice pictures.
Chapter 20: East Asia
- China’s Official Gateway to News and Information: China in Brief—Much info on China’s people, land, history, politics, economy, education, and more.
- China National Tourist Office—Official site of China National Tourist Office, the oversea offices in New York and Los Angeles. The headquarters is in Beijing.
China's Autonomous Regions and Mongolia
- Official Page of the Tibetan Government in Exile—Basic information on Tibet and Tibet in exile. Also includes explanations of the causes and events leading to the current political situation.
- Press Club of Tibet—Great information about Tibet. A lot of things to discover.
- Welcome to Taiwan—Official tourism site. Much information on Taiwan and good destination guide.
- Mongolia Tourism—Official tourism site. Good info and photo gallery.
- Visit Mongolia—Good sections on history, culture, climate etc. Great destination guide and photo gallery.
North and South Korea
- CIA The World Factbook: North Korea—Information on the country's people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, etc.
- DPRK—Official webpage of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK). It is the first DPR Korea Government webpage on the Internet.
- Koryo Tours: Galleries—Best visited for its photo gallery.
- North Korean Political Prison Camps Drawn by Defectors
- Korea.net—Official tourism site of the Republic of Korea
- Tour2Korea— Lots of useful information in the usual categories, a nice destination guide and a beautiful photo gallery.
- Web Japan—Some good information. Mainly useful for travel destinations, whether historic or natural.
- Explore Japan—Official tourism site. Detailed travel guide and great photo gallery.
Chapter 21: Southeast Asia
- Myanmar Tourism Promotion Board Home Page—Some good travel site descriptions but little country information.
- Myanmar Travel Information—Very interesting site! Covers various aspects of Myanmar.
- Tourism Authority of Thailand
- The Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C.—Nice overview site on Thailand
- Discovery Thailand—Covers a lot of information about Thailand including history, climate, and more.
- Lao National Tourism Administration (National Tourism | Ecotourism Laos)—Official tourism sites with much information and many pictures!
- Inter Lao Tourism—The longest-established tourism operation in Lao LDR by the Laotians
- Cambodia in Modern History: Beauty and Darkness—Lots of info, good links, and some excellent photo galleries.
- CIA The World Factbook: Cambodia—Information on Cambodia’s people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Vietnam Tourism—Official tourism site. Great destination guide. Lots of information given but be aware that some portions (especially the history) show a definite government bias.
- VietVentures—Vietnam Information Guide. Great website to discover.
The Malay Archipelago
- CIA The World Factbook: Malaysia—Information on Malaysia’s people, government, economy, communications, transportation, and military
- Malaysia Homepage—Great site! Well-organized and comprehensive look at Malaysia.
- Your Singapore—Official Singapore tourism website
- Singapore—Contains a variety of information about Singapore and a photo gallery.
- Embassy of Brunei Darussalam, Washington, D. C.—Nice overview site on Brunei Darussalam
- Indonesia-Tourism.com—Good overview of Indonesia. Nice interactive map. Don’t neglect the links at the bottom of the first page.
- Indonesian Tourism—Official site of Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Indonesia. Contains lots of great information and pictures.
- Philippines Travel Guide—Contains much information and nice pictures. Great destination guide.
- The Philippines—Well-presented site. Covers the usual information with a nice destination guide, but also focuses on the ecosystem of the Philippines, including animals, plants, volcanoes, hurricanes, and much more
The fact that a link is listed on this site does not mean that BJU Press endorses its entire contents from the standpoint of ethics, philosophy, theology, or scientific hypotheses. The position of BJU Press on these subjects is well known. In order to provide a useful service to our customers, links to many sites of content relevant to our publications are posted on the basis of the information and/or services that the sites offer.
Due to the transient nature of Internet websites, these links are updated regularly. At the time of publication, all of the web links suggested in our educational materials were active. Since then, some may have been replaced by similar websites or removed from this list. If you have comments, suggestions, questions, or find that one of these resources is no longer in service, please e-mail us.